Monday, July 19, 2010

Complications

Today was a thinking day. Three lectures, three locations, three perspectives. First we visited Hebrew University, which is on top of Mount Scopus with a fantastic view of the city and the Judean Dessert that on a clear day hints of the Jordanian horizon. We received a gracious welcome from the Rothberg International College staff and learned about the programs they offer. I've only been in Israel for four days and I'm already becoming more and more interested in Hebrew. Perhaps this is because I am easily romanced by languages. I wish I had the capacity to learn everyone I encounter. Of course I haven't put much effort into it. Right now I have English, the remnants of six years of Spanish, an elementary understanding of ancient Greek, and Jibberish so I could talk to Theresa and make fun of Michael Tavani.

Our first lecture was an overview of the current political conflict, with proposed solutions by a liberal secular Israeli. One, the idea of a federation for Israel, Jordan, Gaza, and West Bank interested me. I don't know how well it could be executed, but its an innovative idea. Though the professor pointed out that Reagan had suggested it and been laughed at. Then we met the endearing woman of God Rev. Petra, a German Lutheran female pastor, who discussed the existence of dhimmitude, a state of living imposed upon religious minorities in Muslim nations. A dhimmi is a Christian or a Jew who does not convert, who then must pay a tax to ensure protection of their lives. This status strips the minority of rights of voting and most control over life decisions. Our third speaker was a hilarious Iranian Christian who is now living in Israel. He discussed the danger of Iran and its budding nuclear program and his suggestion of how to deal with Iran and Gaza.

Needless to say, my brain is filled to the brim with information.

No comments:

Post a Comment